Happy New Year- Gung hay fat choy- Feliz Año Nuevo-Aide shoma mobarak- Bonne année – Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu- Xin nian yu kuai- Buon Capo d’Anno
A Bit of information about February being Black History Month.
Black History Month, is an annual observance in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom for the remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora.
Every year, Canadians are invited to participate in Black History Month festivities and events that honour the legacy of black Canadians, past and present.
Canadians take this time to celebrate the many achievements and contributions of black Canadians who, throughout history, have done so much to make Canada the culturally diverse, compassionate and prosperous nation it is today. During Black History Month, Canadians can gain insight into the experiences of black Canadians and their vital role in the community.
In honour of FEBRUARY festivities Mama says: Put A Hat On! is offering a sweet deal. BUY a hat in combination with another Put A Hat On! product (hat, pouch, body-pouch, wishmark card set) and receive a delicious bottle of a mouth watering (non-alcohol) treat. The custom Adinkra designs featured on the two hats above are Osram Ne Nsoromma “the moon the star” a symbol for love, faithfulness and harmony. West African Adinkra symbol influences are part of my original designs.
Some helpful Black History & Event websites:
BIV Community Calendar:tinyurl.com/BIVevents
Lists current events: http://diversity.ubc.ca/black-history-month/
VIFF Black History month series: Here’s a link to the complete series, including a link to the multipack:VIFF Black History Month Series
History and Education guide: http://blackhistorycanada.ca/
History, Interactive & Classroom: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/multiculturalism/black/
Local History & Interactive Videos: http://blackstrathcona.com/
Local History: http://www.islandnet.com/~bcbhas/
Local History: http://www.bcblackhistory.ca/
VPL Suggested readings book list: https://vpl.bibliocommons.com/list/share/79828372_vpl_informationservice/580579887_vpl_-_black_history_month_2016
For another look at African-Canadian History via government PSA: Proud of our History – Blacks in Canada
Mama RENEWS the triple challenge as a collective NEW YEAR’s resolution.
- DO SOMETHING – random and kind for someone else (near or far)
- GO GREEN- reuse/ recycle /repurpose EVERYTHING POSSIBLE (incl. wrappings)
- BE MINDFUL- Make something or Buy something locally handmade (hint – hint)
WHERE TO FIND Mama…
Mama says: Put A Hat On! and book a home Mad-Hatter-Party (performance and product showing) with a Valentine, Un-Valentine theme throughout February. You can find Mama at various community events in February.
- Storytelling February 20 10:30am at Eastside Family Place (ESFP) 1655 William (for families with children under 6yrs) http://www.eastsidefamilyplace.org .
- Workshop Thursday Feb 16 at (for adults w/ childcare provided) at Kiwassa NH on African Mancala game. The workshop is free with registration.
- February 22nd, World Poetry Celebrates BHM, 6:30-8:30pm, 716, 6th Street (Auditorium) New Westminster. A tribute to women of colour, past, present and future.
- Mama says: Put A Hat On! Mandala Wishmark card sets ($7.50 ea/ 3 for $20) and custom Mandala key chains ($5 ea/ 12 or more $3.50ea) are available for order and purchase.
continuing in– WHERE TO FIND Mama…
- West African Adinkra symbol chart. These symbols influences are part of my original designs
Mama says: Put A hat On! is taking NEW orders ready 1-2 weeks or less. Contact us via email: putahaton(at)gmail.com